The purpose of this is to increase one’s understanding of Bipolar Hypersexuality. You will find several definitions, cited studies, and real life thoughts, feelings, and experiences from actual MD Junction community members.
1. “Hypersexuality means being excessively interested or involved in sexual activity. Hypersexuality is a symptom of bipolar mania, and may take the form of:
• Increased sexual activity with one’s partner
• Involvement with internet pornography
• Excessive use of telephone sexual services regardless of cost
• Extramarital affairs
• Seeking out prostitutes and other risky behaviors” 1
2. “There isn’t a clear-cut definition or criteria for being hypersexual, but for a person with bipolar disorder, it means being more focused on sex and risky sexual behaviors than they normally are. What’s significant is that there is a change or difference from normal behaviors.
People with bipolar disorder experiencing hypersexuality may:
• Have multiple sex partners
• Think about sex constantly
• Have one-night stands
• Be more interested in pornography
• Notice a difference in their sexual behaviors
• Engage in other reckless behaviors like driving too fast or gambling” 2
3. “Hypersexuality is defined as “exhibiting unusual or excessive concern with or indulgence in sexual activity.”
Hypersexuality is generally associated with hypomania and mania and used to be known as nymphomania. (Although the terms nymphomania (for women) and satyriasis (for men) are still used by the World Health Organization.) It should be noted that the severity of hypersexuality runs the gamut just like all hypomanic / manic symptoms do.
Hypersexuality is actually the excessive desire for sex or indulgent activities. Hypersexuality is about the needing, the craving of a release. Hypersexuality is feeling sex move across your skin, slip down the shaft of each hair, and settling deep within your core making all other wants irrelevant. Hypersexuality is a driving force. Like eating. When you’re starving to death.”